This Carrot Casserole recipe is a delicious way to sneak healthy veggies into a meal.
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 3 pounds carrots, peeled and cut into ½-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1½ cups chopped yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 (8-ounce) package shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 sleeve buttery round crackers, crushed
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large Dutch oven, bring carrots and water to cover to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook until just tender, 6 to 8 minutes; drain well.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook until softened, about 6 minutes. Stir in flour; cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Stir in milk; cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened. Remove from heat, and stir in Cheddar, salt, and pepper until melted. Stir in carrots until well combined. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
- In a small bowl, stir together crackers, Parmesan, and melted butter; sprinkle onto casserole.
- Bake until hot and bubbly, about 30 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!