These heavenly beef tenderloin sandwiches get a sweet boost of flavor from caramelized onions that are cooked low and slow.
Caramelized Onion Beef Tenderloin Sandwiches
Makes 8 servings
- 1 (2-pound) beef tenderloin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- ¼ cup butter
- 3 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain Dijon mustard
- 8 bakery buns, halved and toasted
- 8 slices Havarti cheese
- 4 cups fresh arugula
- Preheat oven to 450°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Rub beef with oil, and sprinkle with ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Place on prepared pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted in thickest portion registers 135°. Let stand for 15 minutes; thinly slice.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add onions; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 40 minutes. Uncover, increase heat to medium-high, and cook, stirring frequently, for 10 to 15 minutes or until onions are caramel colored. Remove from heat, and stir in vinegar and remaining ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, stir together mayonnaise and next 3 ingredients. Spread mixture onto cut sides of buns, and top with beef, cheese, onions, arugula. Serve immediately.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!