A sweet root vegetable gets added to a creamy rice dish in this Caramelized Carrot Risotto.
Caramelized Carrot Risotto
makes 6 servings
Write a review
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 6 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ cups Arborio rice
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- Garnish: fresh dill
- In a medium saucepan, bring broth to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat, and simmer.
- In a large skillet, melt ¼ cup butter over medium heat; add carrots and sugar. Cook for 8 minutes or until carrots are lightly browned and tender. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 minutes or just until tender. Add rice, and cook, stirring constantly, for 3 to 4 minutes or until rice begins to brown. Add wine, and cook, stirring constantly, until liquid is absorbed. Add broth, about ¾ cup at a time, allowing liquid to be absorbed after each addition, stirring constantly, until rice is tender and creamy. Add cream, next 5 ingredients, carrots, and remaining 2 tablespoons butter, stirring to combine. Garnish with dill, if desired.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!