These decadent chocolate brownies are topped with caramel-coated popcorn and peanuts to create a prize-worthy snack that’s in a league of its own and definitely kid-approved.
Caramel Popcorn Brownies
Serves: 9 to 12
- 1 (18-ounce) box double-chocolate brownie mix*
- 2½ cups raw red skin peanuts, divided
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup water
- 1 large egg
- 6 cups popped popcorn*
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Garnish: flaked sea salt
- Preheat oven to 325°. Spray a 9-inch square baking pan with baking spray with flour.
- In a large bowl, stir together brownie mix, ½ cup peanuts, oil, ¼ cup water, and egg until combined. Spread batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack. Reduce oven temperature to 250°.
- Spray a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray. On prepared pan, toss together popcorn and remaining 2 cups peanuts until combined.
- In a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan, bring brown sugar, corn syrup, butter, and vanilla to a boil over medium heat. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring halfway through cook time. Remove from heat; stir in baking soda and salt until combined. Pour caramel mixture all over popcorn mixture, stirring to coat.
- Bake for 45 minutes, stirring very well every 15 minutes to evenly coat popcorn mixture with caramel. While still warm and sticky, spoon about half of popcorn mixture onto brownie. Let cool completely before cutting. Store brownies and remaining popcorn mixture in airtight containers for up to 3 days.
We used Ghirardelli Double Chocolate Brownie Mix and Orville Redenbacher's Naturals Simply Salted Microwave Popcorn.