Satisfy a crowd with this delectable slab pie that is filled with gooey caramel and tender, cinnamon-y apples.
Caramel-Apple Slab Pie
Serves: 1 (15×10-inch) pie
- 2 pounds Granny Smith apples, cut into ½-inch-thick slices
- 2 pounds Gala apples, cut into ½-thick-slices
- 1¼ cups plus 2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Slab Pie Dough (recipe follows)
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons apple pie spice
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 2 teaspoons light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon cold unsalted butter
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream, room temperature
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Garnish: chopped toasted pecans
- For pie: In a large bowl, stir together all apples, ¾ cup sugar, and lemon juice; transfer mixture to a colander set in a large bowl. Let stand for 1 hour. Discard liquid; return apples to bowl.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll Slab Pie Dough into a 18×15-inch rectangle. Transfer to a 15×10-inch rimmed baking sheet, letting edges extend over sides of pan.
- Stir ½ cup sugar, flour, pie spice, and salt into apples. Spread apple mixture into prepared crust. Fold edges of dough onto apples. (Dough will not completely cover apples.) Dot apples with cubed butter. Brush cream onto edges of dough; sprinkle with remaining 2 teaspoons sugar.
- Bake until crust is golden brown and filling is tender, about 50 minutes, loosely covering with foil during final 10 minutes of baking to prevent excess browning. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- For caramel: In a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan, stir together sugar, ¼ cup water, and corn syrup until sugar dissolves. Cook, without stirring, over medium-high heat until mixture is amber colored, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir cold butter into sugar mixture until melted. (Mixture will foam.) Stir in cream until smooth and well combined. Stir in vanilla and salt. Let cool slightly before serving with pie. Garnish with pecans, if desired.
Slab Pie Dough
Serves: 1 (15×10-inch) pie crust
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- ⅔ cup whole buttermilk
- In the work bowl of a food processor, pulse together flour, sugar, and salt. Add cold butter; pulse until mixture is crumbly. With processor running, add buttermilk in a slow, steady stream just until dough comes together.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and shape into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 2 days. Let dough stand at room temperature until slightly softened, about 15 minutes, before rolling.