Makes about 2 dozen
Write a review
- 2 (1/4-ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 4 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup warm water (105° to 110°)
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 5 1/2 cups bread flour, divided
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- For dough: In a small bowl, stir together yeast, 1 tablespoon sugar, and ¼ cup warm water; let stand for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine buttermilk, next 4 ingredients, and remaining 3 tablespoons sugar; beat at low speed with a mixer until combined. Add yeast mixture, beating until combined. Gradually add 4 cups flour, beating at medium speed until smooth. Continue beating, and gradually add enough of remaining 1½ cups flour until a soft dough forms.
- On a heavily floured surface, turn out dough, and knead for 6 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic. Spray a large bowl with nonstick cooking spray. Place dough in bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let stand in a warm draft-free place (85°) for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Spray 24 muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray. Roll dough into 72 (1-inch) balls, and place 3 balls in each muffin cup. Cover and let stand in a warm draft-free place (85°) for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Bake rolls for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, for glaze: In a small bowl, stir together confectioners' sugar and orange juice. Brush hot rolls with glaze, and let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and serve warm.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/