Butter, cornmeal, bacon, and fresh herbs combine to create these yummy Buttermilk–Herb Corn Sticks. Serve them with your vegetable side dishes for a complete meal.
Buttermilk–Herb Corn Sticks
Makes about 24
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ¼ cup all-vegetable shortening
- 2 cups self-rising buttermilk cornmeal mix
- 1¾ cups whole buttermilk
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 large egg
- In a medium skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until browned and crisp. Remove bacon using a slotted spoon, and let drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in skillet.
- Melt butter with drippings over medium-high heat. Add chives, parsley, dill, and garlic; cook until tender, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 425°. Divide shortening among 4 (6-well) cast-iron corn stick pans. Place pans in oven to heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cornmeal mix, buttermilk, mayonnaise, and egg; stir in bacon and garlic-herb mixture. Remove hot pans from oven, and divide batter among wells of pans.
- Bake until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes; serve warm.
Kitchen Tip: You can also bake the cornbread in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription of Cooking with Paula Deen today!