We love the salty bits of country ham in this classic Buttermilk Cornbread Dressing.
Buttermilk Cornbread Dressing
Makes 8 to 10 servings
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- Buttermilk Cornbread (recipe follows)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 400°. Lightly spray a 3-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, celery, and bell pepper; cook until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Crumble Buttermilk Cornbread into a large bowl. Stir in cooked vegetables, broth, eggs, pepper, and salt until well combined. Spoon into prepared pan.
- Bake until golden brown and center is set, about 30 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Makes 1 (10-inch) skillet
- 2 tablespoons all-vegetable shortening
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1¼ cups plain yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1½ cups whole buttermilk
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place shortening in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, and place skillet in oven until shortening is bubbly.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, melted butter, and eggs until smooth. Make a well in center of flour mixture; stir in buttermilk mixture just until combined. Carefully pour batter into hot skillet.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from skillet, and let cool completely.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!