These simply and delicious Buttermilk Corn Muffins are great with a hearty bowl of chili or soup.
Buttermilk Corn Muffins
Makes 12 servings
- ¼ cup all-vegetable shortening
- 2 cups self-rising yellow cornmeal mix
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1½ cups whole buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 425°. Divide shortening among wells of a 12-cup muffin pan, and place in oven to preheat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together cornmeal mix and sugar. In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk and egg. Stir buttermilk mixture into cornmeal mixture just until dry ingredients are moistened. Stir in melted butter. Spoon batter into hot pan, filling wells three-fourths full.
- Bake until golden brown, about 12 minutes. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes; serve warm.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!