This butter layer cake is perfect for any occasion!
Butter Layer Cake with Silky Chocolate Frosting
Makes 1 (9-inch) cake
Write a review
- 1 1/3 cups butter, softened
- 2 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 6 large eggs
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 12 (1-ounce) squares semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 cup sour cream
- 6 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray 3 (9-inch) round cake pans with baking spray with flour.
- For batter: In a large bowl, beat butter, sugar, and vanilla with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition; stir in sour cream. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for 23 to 27 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks.
- For frosting: In a medium saucepan, cook chocolate and butter over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until mixture is melted and smooth. Remove from heat, and let cool for 45 minutes.
- In a large bowl, beat cooled chocolate mixture and sour cream with a mixer at low speed until combined. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar, beating until smooth. Immediately spread frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- The frosting has to be used as soon as it's made because it will firm up and be hard to spread.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!