Add a bit of comfort to your winter recipe box with this hearty Butter Bean and Greens Soup.
Butter Bean and Greens Soup
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 tablespoons sliced fresh sage
- 1 pound dried butter beans
- 2 (32-ounce) containers chicken broth
- 2 cups diced peeled butternut squash
- 3 cups chopped stemmed turnip greens
- 1¼ teaspoons kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Toasted cornbread cubes and grated Parmesan cheese, to serve
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring frequently, until onion is browned, about 12 minutes. Stir in garlic and sage; cook for 2 minutes.
- In a 6-quart slow cooker, stir together onion mixture, butter beans, and broth. Cover and cook on high for 3 hours.
- Add squash to cooker; cover and cook until beans are tender, about 1 hour.
- Stir greens, salt, and pepper into beans mixture. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, or reduce heat to warm until ready to serve. Serve with toasted cornbread and Parmesan.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!