Both Brunswick, Georgia, and Brunswick, Virginia, lay claim to inventing Brunswick Stew.
Makes 10 to 12 servings
Write a review
- ½ cup butter
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (32-ounce) cartons chicken broth
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen corn
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen lima beans
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1½ cups vinegar-based barbecue sauce*
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound chopped smoked pork
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- In a large Dutch oven, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 8 minutes or until just tender. Stir in broth and next 6 ingredients, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir in pork, chicken, pepper, and salt, and simmer 30 minutes more.
- *We used Stubbs Original Bar-B-Q Sauce.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/