Banana, walnut, and rich browned butter make this bread a special treat.
Browned Butter Banana-Walnut Bread
Makes 1 (10-inch) loaf
- ¾ cup butter
- ¾ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups cake flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1¼ cups mashed ripe banana (about 3 medium)
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons rum extract (optional)
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until butter begins to foam. Continue cooking, without stirring, until butter is golden brown and has a nutty aroma. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a small bowl, discarding solids. Let cool to room temperature, then refrigerate for 30 minutes or until butter has solidified but is not cold.
- Preheat oven to 325°. Spray a 10x5-inch loaf pan with baking spray with flour.
- In a large bowl, beat solidified butter and brown sugar with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour and next 3 ingredients. In a small bowl, whisk together banana, buttermilk, and extract. Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with banana mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition; stir in walnuts. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan, and let cool completely on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!