Makes 2 quarts
Write a review
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 (12-ounce) package frozen broccoli florets, thawed and chopped
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp white Cheddar cheese
- Garnish: fresh thyme leaves
- In a Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, celery, and carrot; cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until vegetables are just soft. Stir in garlic; cook for 1 minute. Stir in flour, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Gradually stir in stock, and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in broccoli and next 4 ingredients, and cook until heated through. Stir in all cheese until melted and smooth. Garnish with thyme, if desired.
- You can freeze this soup for up to 1 month if you leave out the cheese. After you reheat the soup, stir in all the cheese until melted just before serving.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/