Sharp Cheddar cheese, fresh herbs, and eggs create an irresistible Breakfast Casserole.
Makes 8 servings
- 12 slices white sandwich bread
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- ⅓ cup chopped mixed fresh herbs
- 8 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Garnish: chopped fresh chives, chopped fresh basil
- Spray a 13x9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Line bottom of prepared pan with 6 slices bread. Sprinkle with cheese and herbs. Top with remaining bread slices.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, half-and-half, mustard, salt, and pepper until frothy; slowly pour onto bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Uncover casserole, and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Bake until puffed and center is set, about 1 hour. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with chives and basil, if desired.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!