Chopped Gala and Granny Smith apples, cinnamon, allspice, and ground cloves pair with rich challah, raisins, and cranberries to create the ultimate breakfast bread pudding.
Breakfast Bread Pudding
Makes 12 servings
Write a review
- ½ cup butter, divided
- 3 cups peeled and finely chopped Gala apples
- 1 cup peeled and finely chopped Granny Smith apple
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1¾ cups half-and-half
- 1½ cups firmly packed brown sugar, divided
- 7 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 (16-ounce) loaves challah bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350º. Spray a 13x9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, melt ¼ cup butter over medium-high heat. Add apples and next 3 ingredients. Cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes or until apples are softened. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together half-and-half, 1 cup brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Add bread cubes, raisins, cranberries, and apple mixture. Toss until thoroughly combined. Spoon into prepared baking dish.
- Cover and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for 20 to 25 minutes longer or until golden brown and puffed slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine maple syrup, remaining ¼ cup butter, and remaining ½ cup brown sugar. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in cream. Serve with bread pudding.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/