These Blueberry-Lemon Cream Cheese Sweet Rolls are an irresistible treat perfect for dessert or breakfast.
Blueberry-Lemon Cream Cheese Sweet Rolls
- 2 cups warm milk (105˚ to 110˚)
- 2 (¼-ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup butter, melted
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 to 9 cups bread flour, divided
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- For dough: In a small bowl, stir together warm milk and yeast; let stand for 5 minutes or until foamy.
- In a large bowl, beat sugar and next 4 ingredients with a mixer at medium-low speed until combined. Add yeast mixture, beating until combined. Gradually add 7 cups bread flour, beating until smooth. Add enough remaining bread flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and knead for 6 to 8 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic. Spray a large bowl with nonstick cooking spray, and place dough in bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm draft-free place (85˚) for 1 hour or until dough is doubled in size.
- Spray 2 (10-inch) round cake pans with nonstick cooking spray.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 24x12-inch rectangle.
- For filling: In a small bowl, stir together cream cheese and sugar until well combined. Spread cream cheese mixture evenly over dough rectangle, leaving a ½-inch border on all sides; sprinkle with blueberries and pecans. Starting at one long side, roll up dough into a log, pinching seams to seal. Using a serrated knife, cut log into 1-inch-thick slices. Place 12 rolls, cut side down, in each prepared pan. Cover and let rise in a warm draft-free place (85°) for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 350˚.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes, then invert onto serving plates.
- For glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients, and drizzle over warm rolls. Serve immediately,
Kitchen Tip: Sweet rolls can be assembled through placing in prepared pans in step 7, covered, and refrigerated overnight. Remove rolls from refrigerator, and let stand in a warm draft-free place (85°) for 1½ to 2 hours or until doubled in size. Uncover and bake as directed just before serving.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!