Put up a batch of this Blood Orange Marmalade to enjoy all year.
Blood Orange Marmalade
Makes about 6 half-pint jars
Write a review
- 2 pounds plus 4 additional blood oranges, scrubbed well and divided
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 6 cups sugar, divided
- 1 box powdered pectin
- Prepare 6 half-pint jars, lids, and rings according to manufacturer’s instructions. Prepare boiling water-bath canner, if desired.
- Using a sharp knife, carefully slice off ends of 2 pounds oranges, and remove peel in large strips, leaving behind as much white pith as possible.
- In a medium saucepan, place orange peel strips, and add water to cover. Bring to a boil, and boil for 4 minutes; drain. Repeat procedure two more times. When orange peel is cool enough to handle, slice into thin strips.
- Remove and discard any remaining pith from peeled oranges; slice crosswise into ¼-inch-thick slices. Juice remaining 4 oranges to produce 1 cup juice. Combine orange juice and slices, prepared thinly sliced peel, 2 cups water, and lemon juice in an enameled or stainless steel Dutch oven. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes or until peel is very tender.
- Add 5 cups sugar to orange mixture. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring often. Stir in pectin, and bring to a boil; cook for 3 minutes. Stir in remaining 1 cup sugar, bring to a rolling boil, and cook for 2 minutes or until mixture reaches 220° on a candy thermometer. (To check if marmalade has reached its gelling point without using a candy thermometer, place 1 teaspoon marmalade on a chilled plate.)
- Ladle hot marmalade into hot, sterilized jars, and seal with lids and rings. Process for 10 minutes in a boiling water-bath canner, if desired. If not processing marmalade, cool slightly, and store in refrigerator.
- It’s important that this marmalade be prepared in a nonreactive Dutch oven, such as one that’s enameled or made with stainless steel. Do not use an aluminum Dutch oven.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/