This Black-Eyed Peas and Collard Greens Soup is full of rich flavor from smoked sausage and fresh veggies.
Black-Eyed Peas and Collard Greens Soup
Makes about 3 quarts
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 pound smoked sausage, sliced*
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped peeled carrots
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (32-ounce) carton low-sodium beef broth
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 pound collard greens, stemmed and roughly chopped
- 11/2 cups frozen black-eyed peas
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Garnish: fresh thyme
- In a large Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add sausage; cook, stirring frequently, until browned, 5 to 8 minutes. Remove sausage using a slotted spoon, and let drain on paper towels. Wipe pot clean with a paper towel.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and carrot; cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in sausage, broth, tomatoes, greens, peas, thyme, salt, and pepper until greens are wilted, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and cook until greens and peas are tender, 30 to 40 minutes. Garnish with thyme, if desired.
Kitchen Tip: You can use smoked pork or beef sausage for the recipe.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!