The sweetness of blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, and strawberries shines in this simple, comforting berry cobbler.
Berry Cobbler with Cornmeal Biscuits
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 2 (6-ounce) containers fresh raspberries
- 1 (8-ounce) container fresh blueberries
- ½ (16-ounce) container fresh strawberries, quartered
- 1 (6-ounce) container fresh blackberries
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup plain yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
- ⅔ cup plus 2 tablespoons whole buttermilk, divided
- Preheat oven to 375°. Spray a 10-inch cast-iron skillet with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, gently stir together all berries, ½ cup sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, and orange zest until well combined. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, and remaining ½ cup sugar. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Gradually stir in ⅔ cup buttermilk until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and pat to ½-inch thickness. Using a 2½-inch round cutter, cut dough, rerolling scraps once. Place biscuits on berry mixture, and brush with remaining 2 tablespoons buttermilk.
- Bake until biscuits are golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for 20 to 30 minutes; serve warm.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!