These Beef Wellingtons are full of flavor from portobello mushrooms, shallots, parsley, and delicious sherry cream sauce.
Beef Wellingtons with Sherry Cream Sauce
Makes 12 servings
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 (4-ounce) 1½-inch-thick beef tenderloin fillets
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 (8-ounce) packages baby portobello mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 large shallots, minced
- ½ cup dry sherry
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1½ (17.3-ounce) boxes frozen puff pastry, thawed (3 sheets)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Sherry Cream Sauce (recipe follows)
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Sprinkle fillets with 1 teaspoon salt and pepper. Cook fillets in batches for 1 to 2 minutes per side or until browned. Transfer fillets to a baking sheet, reserving drippings in skillet, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, to drippings in skillet, add mushrooms and shallot; cook, stirring occasionally, over medium-high heat for 3 minutes. Stir in sherry, cream, and remaining 1 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring frequently, for 12 to 14 minutes or until all liquid has evaporated; stir in parsley. Remove from heat, and let cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 425º. Line 2 large rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, unfold 1 pastry sheet, and roll to a 12x10-inch rectangle. Cut pastry in half lengthwise and then crosswise (there will be 4 pieces). Spoon 1 heaping tablespoon mushroom mixture in center of each piece, and top each with 1 cold fillet. Brush edges of pastry with beaten egg. Fold 2 opposite sides of pastry over each fillet, overlapping sides; brush pastry with egg. Fold remaining 2 sides of pastry over fillet, and gently press to seal; brush with egg. Placed pastry-wrapped fillet seam side down on prepared pan, and brush top of pastry with egg. Repeat procedure with remaining pastry, mushroom mixture, fillets, and egg.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until pastry is golden brown. Serve immediately with Sherry Cream Sauce.
Sherry Cream Sauce
Makes about 3 cups
- ¼ cup butter
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2½ cups beef broth
- ¾ cup dry sherry
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- In a medium skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic, and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in flour and pepper, and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Stir in broth and sherry, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Stir in cream, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes or until thickened. Serve warm with Beef Wellingtons.
Tip: The cream sauce can be made a day ahead and refrigerated in an airtight container. Reheat it over low heat.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!