Serve this buttery Bananas Foster Upside-Down Cake with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Bananas Foster Upside-Down Cake
Makes 1 (10-inch) cake
Write a review
- ⅓ cup plus ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened and divided
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 3 ripe bananas, halved crosswise and sliced lengthwise
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup half-and-half
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup mashed ripe banana
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon rum extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a deep 10-inch cast-iron skillet with baking spray with flour.
- In same cast-iron skillet, melt ⅓ cup butter over medium heat. Whisk in brown sugar and rum, and cook, whisking constantly, until sugar is dissolved, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat, and let cool completely.
- Arrange banana slices in overlapping concentric circles in sugar mixture in skillet.
- In a large bowl, beat remaining 1/4 cup butter, granulated sugar, and oil with a mixer at medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes, stopping occasionally to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and baking soda. In a small bowl, whisk together half-and-half, yogurt, mashed banana, and extracts. Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with half-and-half mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Gently spread batter onto banana slices in skillet.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool for 30 minutes. Run a knife around sides of skillet to loosen cake. Invert cake onto a serving platter, and serve immediately. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!