There’s no question that Southerners love the creamy, custardy goodness of classic banana pudding. Enjoy the flavors of this classic dessert in Banana Pudding Whoopie Pies.
Banana Pudding Whoopie Pies
Makes about 12
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup whole milk
- 1 (3.4-ounce) box banana cream instant pudding mix
- 1 cup whole milk
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 medium bananas, sliced
- Garnish: confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- For cookies: In a large bowl, beat butter, sugar, and vanilla with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Gradually add flour mixture and milk to butter mixture, beating at low speed until combined. Using a 1½-tablespoon spring-loaded ice cream scoop, drop batter 3 inches apart on prepared pans.
- Bake until golden brown, about 12 minutes. Let cool on pans for 3 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks.
- For filling: In a medium bowl, beat pudding mix, milk, and cream with a mixer at medium speed until very thick, about 2 minutes. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Spread about 1 tablespoon pudding onto flat side of cookies. Top half of cookies with 3 to 4 banana slices. Place remaining cookies, flat side down, on banana slices; gently press. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate for up to 1 hour. Garnish with confectioners’ sugar, if desired.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!