This creamy, dreamy classic is worth every bit of effort, from the crust to the custard to the sweetened whipped cream.
Banana Cream Pie
Makes 1 (9-inch) pie
- 2 cups crushed vanilla wafers
- ⅓ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter, melted
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 ¾ cups whole milk
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 4 large egg yolks
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3 ripe bananas, sliced
- Brown Sugar Whipped Cream (recipe follows)
- Garnish: vanilla wafers, banana slices
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a medium bowl, stir together crushed wafers, brown sugar, melted butter, and ½ teaspoon salt until well combined. Press into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch pie plate. Bake until golden brown, 18 to 20 minutes. Let cool completely.
- In a medium saucepan, cook milk, cream, granulated sugar, and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt over medium heat, stirring occasionally, just until bubbles form around sides of pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks and cornstarch until smooth. Slowly whisk one-fourth of hot milk mixture into eggs. Whisk egg mixture into remaining milk mixture in saucepan, and bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Cook, whisking constantly, until thick, about 3 minutes. Strain mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a medium bowl, discarding solids. Whisk in vanilla and softened butter until melted and smooth. Cover with plastic wrap, and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Arrange banana slices in bottom of crust. Stir custard, and gently spread onto bananas. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing directly on surface to prevent a skin from forming, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving or up to overnight. Top with Brown Sugar Whipped Cream just before serving. Garnish with vanilla wafers and banana, if desired.
Brown Sugar Whipped Cream Makes about 2 cups
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- In a large bowl, beat all ingredients with a mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form. Use immediately.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!