Juicy, flavorful, and oh-so satisfying, these Bacon-Onion Burgers hit the spot every single time.
- 8 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- 3 pounds ground round beef
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 slices sharp Cheddar cheese
- Hamburger buns, romaine lettuce, ketchup, and sliced red onion, to serve
- In a large cast-iron skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, about 10 minutes. Remove bacon using a slotted spoon, and let drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in skillet.
- Add chopped onion to skillet; cook over medium heat until tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove onion and drippings, and let cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine bacon, chopped onion, beef, salt, and pepper. Divide mixture into 8 portions, and shape each into a 5-inch patty.
- In same skillet, cook burgers in batches over medium heat until an instant-read thermometer inserted in center registers 160°, 6 to 8 minutes, or to desired degree of doneness; add cheese during last minute of cooking. Serve on buns with lettuce, ketchup, and sliced onion.