This cozy and comforting Bacon Cheeseburger Soup is perfect for warming up inside on cold winter evenings around the table with family. Serve this delicious soup with a side of cheese toast, perfect for dipping into this hearty meal.
Bacon Cheeseburger Soup
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- ½ pound thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 1 pound ground chuck
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1½ teaspoons Montreal steak seasoning
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup dill pickle relish
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Garnish: chopped green onion
- In a medium Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove bacon using a slotted spoon, and let drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in pot.
- Add ground chuck, onion, garlic, and steak seasoning; cook, stirring frequently, until browned and crumbly, about 8 minutes. Remove beef mixture using a slotted spoon, and let drain on paper towels, reserving ½ cup drippings in pot.
- Stir flour into drippings in pot, and cook until bubbly, 2 to 3 minutes. Gradually whisk in broth until smooth. Stir in beef mixture, milk, tomatoes, cheese, relish, and Worcestershire, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in bacon, and cook just until heated through, about 5 minutes. Garnish with green onion, if desired.
Kitchen Tip: For quick cheese toast, sprinkle sandwich bread, hamburger buns, or hot dogs buns with shredded cheese, and broil just until melted.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!