You will love these tasty Baby Limas with Ham Hock. Serve this dish with a slice of warm corn bread.
Baby Limas with Ham Hock
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 (4-ounce) ham hock
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 (32-ounce) carton chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 dried red chiles
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 pound fresh baby lima beans
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add ham hock, and cook until browned on all sides. Stir in vinegar, scraping bottom of pot with a wooden spoon. Stir in broth, 2 cups water, brown sugar, chiles, bay leaves, and thyme, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir in beans, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until beans are tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Stir in salt and pepper.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription of Cooking with Paula Deen today!