Celebrate fall with bars full of apples and dates.
Apple-Date Oatmeal Bars
Makes about 24
Write a review
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 Braeburn apples, peeled, cored, and diced
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 (10-ounce) package chopped dates
- Preheat oven to 350˚. Line a 13x9-inch baking pan with aluminum foil, letting excess extend over sides of pan.
- For dough: In a large bowl, beat butter and sugars at medium speed with a mixer until fluffy. Add egg, beating until combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, oats, and baking powder. Gradually add to butter mixture; beat until combined. In a small bowl, reserve 1½ cups dough. Press remaining dough into prepared pan.
- For filling: In a medium saucepan, cook apples, sugar, 3 tablespoons water, and lemon juice over medium heat for 6 minutes or until apples are slightly tender. Add dates, and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat, and let cool for 15 minutes.
- Spread filling over dough. Drop reserved dough by tablespoonfuls onto filling.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool completely in pan. Using excess foil as handles, remove from pan, and cut into bars.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!