Fresh out of the air fryer, these delicious Rice Balls are packed with flavor from Andouille sausage and a Creamy Herb Sauce topping.
Andouille-Stuffed Rice Balls
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup finely diced andouille sausage (about 2 links)
- ¾ cup medium-grain rice
- ⅓ cup dry white wine
- 4 cups warm chicken broth
- 2 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- ¼ cup minced green onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2½ cups panko (Japanese bread crumbs), divided
- ¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 large eggs
- Creamy Herb Sauce (recipe follows)
- In a small Dutch oven, melt butter with oil over medium heat. Add sausage; cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 6 minutes. Remove sausage using a slotted spoon, and let drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in pot.
- Stir rice into drippings; cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes. Stir in wine; cook, stirring constantly, until liquid has evaporated, about 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium-low; stir in 1 cup warm broth. Cook until bubbles form around sides of pan. (Do not boil.) Simmer, stirring frequently, until all liquid is absorbed, about 9 minutes. Repeat procedure with remaining 3 cups warm broth, 1 cup at a time, until rice is tender and mixture is creamy.
- Remove from heat; stir cream cheese into rice mixture until smooth. Stir in sausage, green onion, thyme, hot sauce, salt, pepper, garlic, and Worcestershire.
- Spread mixture into a large rimmed baking sheet. Let cool completely. Cover and refrigerate until cold, at least 4 hours or overnight.
- If preheating is recommended by your air fryer manual, preheat fryer to 400°. Place a wire rack on a rimmed baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, stir together cold risotto, ½ cup bread crumbs, and Parmesan.
- In a shallow dish, place remaining 2 cups bread crumbs. In another shallow dish, beat eggs.
- Shape risotto mixture into 1½-inch balls (about 2 tablespoons each). Roll balls in eggs, letting excess drip off. Dredge in bread crumbs to coat. Place on wire rack, and spray with cooking spray, turning once to make sure they are evenly coated.
- Working in batches, place balls in air fryer basket. Set temperature to 400°, and cook until golden brown, about 18 minutes, turning and spraying with cooking spray every 6 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes. Serve immediately with Creamy Herb Sauce.
Creamy Herb Sauce
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons minced green onion
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients until well combined. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.