Citrus fruit, maraschino cherries, coconut flakes, and banana slices create delicious Ambrosia salad.
Makes 8 to 10 servings
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- Peel from 1 orange
- Peel from 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 (20-ounce) jar refrigerated citrus salad in light syrup, drained
- 1 (20-ounce) jar refrigerated mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 (20-ounce) can pineapple chunks in heavy syrup, drained
- 1 (10-ounce) jar maraschino cherries, drained
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 large banana, sliced
- In a medium saucepan, bring sugar, ½ cup water, and orange and lemon peel to a boil over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat, and let stand for 30 minutes. Discard peels. Stir in extracts.
- In a large bowl, stir together citrus salad, oranges, pineapple, cherries, coconut, banana, and citrus syrup. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!