Makes 6 servings
Write a review
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish, divided
- 1¼ teaspoons ground black pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 sweet onions, sliced ¼ inch thick
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 pounds ground chuck
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 6 tablespoons shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 6 slices sharp Cheddar cheese
- 6 hamburger buns, halved and toasted
- Green leaf lettuce
- 12 slices bacon, cooked until crisp and halved crosswise
- Sliced red onion
- Bread-and-butter pickle slices
- Sliced tomato
- In a small bowl, stir together mayonnaise, ketchup, mustard, 1 tablespoon horseradish, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Cover and refrigerate.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add onions; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until onions are tender. Uncover and increase heat to medium-high. Cook, stirring frequently, for 15 to 20 minutes or until onions are caramel colored; stir in vinegar. Let cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate.
- Spray grill rack with nonflammable cooking spray. Preheat grill to medium-high heat (350° to 400°).
- In a large bowl, stir together ground chuck, next 2 ingredients, remaining 1 tablespoon horseradish, and remaining 1 teaspoon pepper. Divide mixture into 12 portions; shape each portion into a 5-inch patty. Add 1 tablespoon shredded cheese to center of 6 patties. Top each with another patty, pressing edges to seal.
- Grill patties, covered with grill lid, for 4 to 5 minutes per side or until desired degree of doneness. Top each patty with 1 slice cheese, and remove from grill.
- Spread mayonnaise mixture onto bottom half of buns, and top each with lettuce, bacon, patty, red onion, pickles, tomato, caramelized onions, and top of bun. Serve immediately.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/