Buttery crust and tangy filling make this Lemon Meringue Pie a special treat!
Lemon Meringue Pie
Makes 1 (9-inch) pie
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cold water
- 8 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- ¾ cup fresh lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons butter
- ½ tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1⅔ cups granulated sugar
- 6 large egg whites
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 9-inch square baking pan with parchment paper, letting excess extend over sides of pan. Lightly spray parchment with baking spray with flour.
- For crust: In a small bowl, whisk together flour and confectioners’ sugar; stir in butter until mixture is crumbly. Press into bottom and ½ inch up sides of prepared pan.
- Bake until lightly browned, 12 to 15 minutes. Let cool completely.
- For filling: In a large saucepan, whisk together sugar, cornstarch, and salt; gradually whisk in 2 cups cold water until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking frequently; boil, whisking constantly, for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks. Slowly add 1 cup hot sugar mixture to egg yolks, whisking constantly. Whisk egg mixture into remaining hot sugar mixture in saucepan. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until mixture is thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Whisk in lemon zest and juice, butter, and vanilla; cook, whisking constantly, until mixture is thick and smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. Spread mixture onto prepared crust. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing directly on surface of filling to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate until cold and firm, at least 4 hours.
- For topping: In the top of a double boiler, cook sugar and egg whites over simmering water, whisking constantly, until mixture registers 140° on a candy thermometer, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer mixture to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, and beat at high speed until thick, white, and fluffy, about 10 minutes. Spread meringue onto cold lemon mixture.
- Preheat oven to broil. Broil pie for 1 to 2 minutes to brown meringue. Serve immediately. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!