Cinnamon, pineapple, banana, pecans, vanilla, and a rich cream cheese frosting blend to create this classic Hummingbird Cake.
Makes 1 (9-inch) cake
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 large eggs
- 1½ cups vegetable oil
- 1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained
- 2 cups mashed ripe banana (about 4 medium)
- 1 cup toasted chopped pecans
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- Cream Cheese Frosting (recipe follows)
- Garnish: chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray 3 (9-inch) round cake pans with baking spray with flour.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and oil. Stir egg mixture into flour mixture just until dry ingredients are moistened. Stir in pineapple, banana, pecans, and vanilla until well combined. Spread batter into prepared pans.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks.
- Spread Cream Cheese Frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake. Press pecans onto bottom-third of cake, if desired. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Cream Cheese Frosting
Makes about 7 cups
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 (2-pound) bag confectioners’ sugar
- ¼ cup whole milk
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter with a mixer at medium speed until creamy. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar, milk, and salt, beating until smooth and well combined. Beat in vanilla.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!