Make a double batch of these tasty Fried Green Tomatoes. They’ll be gone in a flash!
Fried Green Tomatoes
Makes 4 servings
- 3 medium green tomatoes, sliced ⅓ inch thick
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour, divided
- ½ cup plain cornmeal
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup whole buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Zesty Rémoulade (recipe follows)
- Place tomatoes in a single layer on paper towels. Sprinkle with ½ teaspoon salt.
- Place ½ cup flour in a small bowl. In a shallow dish, whisk together cornmeal, pepper, remaining 1 cup flour, and remaining 1 teaspoon salt. In another small bowl, whisk together buttermilk and egg. Dredge tomato slices in flour, shaking off excess. Dredge in buttermilk mixture, letting excess drip off; dredge in cornmeal mixture. Place on a wire rack, and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Pour oil to a depth of ¼ to ½ inch in a large cast-iron skillet, and heat over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350°.
- Fry tomatoes in batches until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Let drain on paper towels or a clean wire rack. Sprinkle tomatoes with additional salt, if desired. Serve immediately with Zesty Rémoulade.
Makes about 1½ cups
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons capers, minced
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1½ teaspoons paprika
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients until combined. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!