Makes 8 to 10 servings
Write a review
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 (12-ounce) jar hot caramel ice cream topping*
- 1 (1/4-ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 7 large eggs, separated
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup ground pecans
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- Garnish: confectioners’ sugar, pecan halves
- For filling: In a large bowl, beat cream at medium speed with a mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Add caramel, beating just until combined.
- In a small bowl, combine gelatin and 3 tablespoons cold water; let stand for 2 minutes or until softened. Add 1/4 cup boiling water, stirring until dissolved. Add gelatin mixture to cream mixture, beating just until combined. (Mixture will look like it is melting, but it will set up again.) Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours before using, or for up to 2 days.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Spray a 15x10-inch jelly-roll pan with nonstick baking spray with flour. Line pan with parchment paper, and spray again.
- For cake: In a large bowl, beat egg yolks and 1/3 cup granulated sugar at medium-high speed with a mixer until thick and pale. In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, and salt. Sift flour mixture over egg yolk mixture, stirring to combine. Stir in pecans and melted butter.
- In another large bowl, beat egg whites at high speed with a mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 1/3 cup sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold egg white mixture into egg yolk mixture until combined. Spread batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched in center.
- Meanwhile, sift confectioners’ sugar into a 15x10-inch rectangle on a clean dish towel. Immediately run a knife around the edges of pan to loosen cake from sides of pan, and turn out onto prepared towel. Peel off parchment paper. Starting at short side, roll up cake and towel together. Place seam side down on a wire rack, and let cool completely.
- Unroll cake, and spread with cold filling. Reroll cake without towel, and place seam side down on serving platter. Sift confectioners’ sugar over cake, and garnish with pecans, if desired.
- *We used Smucker’s Hot Caramel Ice Cream Topping.
Paula Deen Magazine http://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/