Italian Cream Cake
Makes 1 (9-inch) cake
Write a review
- 1 1⁄4 cups butter, softened and divided
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup whole buttermilk
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 (16-ounce) box confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Garnish: toasted shaved toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray 3 (9-inch) cake pans with nonstick cooking spray with flour.
- In a large bowl, beat 1 cup butter and sugar with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour and baking soda. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Stir in flaked coconut, pecans, and vanilla. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and remaining 1/4 cup butter with a mixer at medium speed until creamy. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar, beating until combined. Add almond extract, and beat until smooth.
- Spread cream cheese mixture between layers and on top of cake. Garnish with shaved coconut, if desired.
Paula Deen Magazine http://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/