Cream Cheese Caramel Brownies
Makes about 24
Write a review
- 1 cup butter
- 8 (1-ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate
- 3 1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 6 large eggs, divided
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup caramel ice cream topping
- Preheat oven to 350˚. Line a 13x9-inch baking pan with foil, letting excess extend over sides of pan; spray foil with cooking spray.
- In a small saucepan, cook butter and chocolate over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat, and let cool for 20 minutes.
- In a large bowl, beat 3 cups sugar, 5 eggs, and vanilla with a mixer at medium-high speed with for 6 minutes or until pale and fluffy. Reduce speed to medium-low, and gradually beat in flour. Stir in chocolate mixture. Reserve 1 cup batter in a small bowl, and pour remaining batter in prepared pan.
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese, remaining 1/4 cup sugar, and remaining egg with a mixer at medium speed. Drop mixture by heaping tablespoonfuls onto batter in pan. Drizzle caramel topping onto cream cheese mixture and batter in pan. Drop reserved batter by heaping tablespoonfuls over caramel. Using a knife, swirl together cream cheese mixture, caramel, and top layer of batter.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes to clean. Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Using excess foil as handles, remove from pan before cutting into squares. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Paula Deen Magazine http://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/