These made-from-scratch cheese biscuits are a comforting Southern snack.
Cheese Biscuits with Ham
Makes about 24
Write a review
- 3 cups self-rising flour
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
- 1 1/4 cups whole buttermilk
- 1 pound ham, sliced 1/8 inch thick, slices halved crosswise
- Preheat oven to 450°. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, cut butter into flour using a pastry blender until crumbly. Stir in cheese and chives. Gradually add buttermilk, stirring just until moistened.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and knead 5 times. Pat out dough to ¾-inch thickness. Using a 2-inch round cutter, cut dough, gently re-rolling scraps to use all dough. Place on prepared pan.
- Bake until lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes; halve biscuits, and serve immediately with ham.
- Unbaked biscuits can be frozen for up to 1 month. Bake frozen biscuits at 375° until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
Paula Deen Magazine http://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/