Beer Cheese Soup
Makes about 10 cups
Write a review
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle lager or pale ale
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups shredded mild Cheddar cheese
- 8 ounces processed cheese product,* cubed
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- Small round sourdough bread loaves, tops cut off and hollowed out (optional)
- Garnish: chopped green onion
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and next 3 ingredients; cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Stir in flour; cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes. Stir in broth and beer, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in cream.
- Add soup in batches to a blender, and process until smooth. Return soup to Dutch oven over low heat, and stir in cheeses and sour cream until melted (do not boil). Serve in bread bowls, if desired. Garnish with green onion, if desired.
- Buy a block of Cheddar cheese and shred it yourself for the best results.
- *We used Velveeta.
Paula Deen Magazine http://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/